My quilt is growing (and running out of room) on the floor at the beach house!!
This weekend my mom cut 72 eight inch squares and I sewed them into two disappearing nine patch quilt tops for Binky Patrol!
Look at the beautiful artwork I just made! I bought a 9 inch square shadow frame from Ikea and pieced a log cabin block using 1 3/4 inch scraps. I secured the block to the frame back using double sided tape. Now I just need to figure out how to take a photo of glass without capturing a reflection!! It’s a quick weekend project - use a 1/4 inch seam allowance and message me if you’ve got questions!
My mom and I made this bright & scrappy ‘disappearing nine patch’ quilt at the beach this past weekend! Quilts go so much quicker when someone helps you! I finished the hand-sewing yesterday and it’s all ready to be given to Binky Patrol this weekend!!
Click here to make your own!
This is what I’m working on! It’s a scrappy rainbow version of Elizabeth Hartman’s ‘Fire Drill’ in her new book!!
Finished! I made this zippered pouch for the Vancouver/Portland Modern Quilt Guild swap using the block I made for the Michael Miller Cotton Couture challenge (I had every intention of submitting it, but forgot…). I slightly modified this tutorial that I found when I searched for patterns.
And another quilted pillow!! I made this one for Abe’s mom using scraps of her favorite color, blue!
This is a pillow top I made for myself last night using my 1/4 yd gift from Abe. His under $5 Christmas present landed me with a selection of delicious fabrics by such favorites as Valori Wells, Kaffe Fasset and Moda!!
A Christmas present revealed! My best friend and I exchanged presents last night so this isn’t a spoiler alert. Anyway, my best friend has very classic taste and loves vintage everything - books, paintings, prints, etc. And most importantly, a stipulation of our gift giving was that we couldn’t spend more than five dollars. Everything I used to make the pillow was something I already had on hand. I used mostly scraps of reproduction prints, dismantled a vintage pillow case, and scraps of newer prints that I thought had a vintage feel.
Construction: I cut the fabrics to 2.5 inch squares and arranged them in rows of 6 each. My pillow form (formerly used for a 4th of July themed pillow) was 12x12 and I know that if I use a quarter inch seam allowance that the final squares would be 2x2. I used foot #57 for my BERNINA 440QE. It’s a quarter inch seam allowance with a guide and it makes sewing much more accurate (not to mention you can really fly through the squares). After I had sewn all of the squares together and assembled my rows, I used a scrap of plain white fabric for my backing and a scrap of Warm&Natural batting and quilted the top using wonky straight lines. I think the wonkyness also attributes to more of a vintage feel. Then I cut two rectangles for the backing of my pillow - 12.5x7 and 12.5x9. The larger pieces guarantee I’ll have some overlap after I put the pillow in. I finished the two edges that could potentially show by folding them under by a quarter inch and then a quarter inch again and sewing near the edge. To finish the pillow I layered my quilted top right side up and the two backing pieces with right sides down and sewed around the edges using a scant quarter inch seam. I added the pillow form and voila! I’m super happy with the results and I know that my bestie is too!
If you want to make this pillow and have any questions on the construction, feel free to ask me :) Merry Christmas!